Proof of filed taxes is a requirement for filing bankruptcy. However, some of my clients cannot find their previous three years of tax returns. What do you do then?  First, call your accountant or tax serivce to see if they have a copy. Second, call the IRS and ask for a transcript for each year you are missing. They can fax you a copy.